Tools: Graphite, colored pencil.
Paper: Toned paper.
Normally my practice sketches focus on one theme and one medium for the entire week. But the last few weeks, I’ve been all over the place. Here are some of the things I’ve sketched:
- Characters (probably my favorite thing to sketch)
- Mystery Widgets (devices with interesting forms, but no clear purpose)
- Robots (for me, mystery widgets always lead to robots)
- Imaginary environments
- Studies of other artists’ work
I also worked in several different media:
- Graphite pencil on white paper
- Graphite and colored pencil on toned paper
- Graphite pencil on gessoed illustration board
- Mixed media painting (including gouache, casein, acrylic, water soluble oils, graphite, colored pencil and watercolor pencil)
All this experimentation was a blast, and I saw a lot of progress in my drawing, painting and design skills. I also got really excited about some new materials. If the excitement lasts, I’ll post more about them in a few weeks.
In the meantime, here’s the first group of sketches: a collection of environments, mystery widgets and robots I sketched over the last few weeks.